Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

On news watching...


There was a time when I stopped watching TV, or listening to the radio and believe it or not, stopped going online and checking my emails.  I always joked about living in my own world. 

Truth is I found it easier than keeping up with current events.  I can't do that anymore. 

It's ridiculous really; what I was doing was pretending, more like lying to myself. 

If I don't watch the news and stay out of serious conversations maybe my world would remain unaffected. 

I can't just pop my head out when the weather looks safe and promising.  No, I can't live in my bubble anymore. 

Yes, the world we live in is ugly, full of violence and crime.  It seems senseless that innocent people are dying daily.

I vow to acknowledge the darkness we reside in by becoming a solider of light.

Let me educate myself with its ugly ways and use that power to help clean it up. 

Running away from my responsibilities is no longer an option.  What counts now is this moment on.

The more time I spend reading the newspaper, checking newsfeed updates and listening to NPR, I realize surviving these hard times means tuning in and staying aware.  

I must gather my tools, take to heart the lessons of my professors, keep myself surround with young ambitious peers and pull from everyone I encounter.  

We are the generation that matter because we are the here and now.   Let us too pay tribute to those who paved our way. 

No one is perfect, but I WANT TO TRY.

I want to stop judging others for their differences and spend more time treating people with respect and show the world more love.

I didn't set any New Year resolutions.  Why should I, I thought, 2012 and the end of time, so childish.

Well here's one now:  I will wake up every morning more thankful and see the glass half full. 

I will not procrastinate because I know now that I am a part of a bigger picture and that my delay affects those around me too.

I will not put others down or speak ill of my neighbors, nor will I listen to others bash each other.

I will try to be more helpful and understanding because someone else along the way has and will continue to show me the courtesy of patience.

I could go on and on, but simplistically put, I will strive to be a better person and just.

I don't know where I get my arrogance, or why I feel so self-entitled.  The truth is I am the person I am today (my good qualities) because someone else took time out of their life to help mold me.

I am a direct result of teachers, family members, friends, co-workers, religious beliefs etc. 

We've all heard the cliché, life is short.  Yeah so, then maybe every second should count.

I want to thank those who keep me in-check and continue to positively affect my life and hope that one day 
I too may be a person of influence to someone.

And why the sudden thought?  Because I NOW watch the news, because I can no longer live in my own world or stay ignorant in the dark.